Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tales from me old Mole Dad


Hello,

Thinking about what I should post today I couldn’t think of anything I’ve seen, heard or done recently that has really made me laugh. Not just a 'round the water cooler' chortle that people are becoming accustomed too, but a hurt your ribs, break a sweat laugh that forever burns the occasion into your grey matter.

Now Mole Dad is a funny old Scouse. He’s a very funny, yet reserved, man with plenty of tales. He was raised in Kerby in one of the locals. Having been raised and later working in this bar one can would appreciate how his personality came about.

Liverpool, nearly everyone knows someone from the place and if you don’t, you probably have heard of their rubbish soccer team, God bless them. But I digress.

Thieves the lot of them.

It was on a trip to Kawerau with Miss Molerat to see my father that this story takes place. A trip I don’t make often enough by the way. After sitting with Mole Dad over a few pints he starts to loosen up (He’s always a little nervous of me when we first meet) and starts to spin a few tales.

And it went a little like this........

"Now my dad worked on the docks. Big man for sure, used to be a seaman, loved to drink and fight. When having a pint he would only ever touch his pint glass twice, if you know what I mean?"

"I know what you mean dad."

"I wish you hadda met him. Anyway one day I was working in the pub with my aunty Sally when my dad brought in a big wooden barrel from the Docks."

"What was he doing with that?"

"What do you mean? He stole it and brought it home!"

"Right o! What was in it?"

"Alcohol, or so he was told. Anyway he put in the middle of the bar and left it there till after we closed, we were going to crack it open later that night. Some of my uncles were in that night and they were drinking with my dad, they had their pints sitting on the top of it you know what I mean?"

"Yeah"

"Well uncle Michael found the plug in the barrel and decided to pull it out. Dad was right it was full of alcohol, so they put aside the beers and started draining the contents of this barrel. Pissed they were, i tell you the next day when they came in for breakfast they were in a horrible state."

"So what’s your point?"

"You see how he speaks to me Miss Molerat? Rude isn’t he? I thought I raised a good..."

"Let it go would you."

*Steely glare from Mole Dad*

"So we were carrying the barrel outside when we noticed something was still inside it."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, the bloody Barrel had an embalmed monkey in it. They were preserving it in alcohol and had sent it from Africa to Liverpool to be put in the museum, it was in the papers and everything asking for the monkey to be returned to its owners. We kept it for a few days then left it outside the bar across the road hoping they would get some bad press."

End story......................

I still find this incredibly funny. I don’t know if alcohol had something to do with it, or it was just the sheer surprise of the ending, but that was one of the funniest story’s I’ve ever heard from Mole Dad.

I half expected him to tell me they ate it.

15 comments:

Trubes said...

Hello Mr Molerat: First visit to your site and you made me laugh out loud. Brilliant story about your Dad. Myy old garandad was a Coppersmith at Birkenhead Docks, when I was a youngster.
I am a Scouser (cultured) too, so really love stories like this.
You are now on my list of favourites and I'm just dreaming up a few Scousers Tales to post for you in the next couple of days so look out..

Tarra for now,

Di.

P.S. Say hello to your Dad for me.x

Molerats said...

Trubes!!!!

Welcome to the home of Molerat.

Pleased you enjoyed the yarn from me old scouse. I had a look at your site and look forward to seeing your tales very much. Ill be keeping an eye out.

I hope to post a few more, a sort of regular insertion when I cant find anything else to write about.

Toodles!!

MRat

Barnsley Bill said...

Why does the Mersey run through Liverpool? because it is scared of being mugged.. ba da boom.
Great story Mr Molerats, and a vist from Trubes as well. He is a toff to be sure. Click through some of his links and have a look. A very funny group of bloggers.
I would update my blog links but There are so many I read now it would look like a phone book

Molerats said...

Barnsley Bill,

Great to have a post from you. Your site has been of interest to me for sometime so was a shoe in to make it on my list.

Hows about this one:

40 scousers arrived at heaven's gates.

St Peter says, 'We've only room for 12 so decide amongst yourselves who's coming in.'

5 mins later St Peter says to God, 'They've gone!'

God replies, 'What, all 40 of them?'

St Peter says, 'No, the F***** gates!'

*Jazz hands*

Barnsley Bill said...

Excellent. My football team recently played Liverscum in the FA cup so we had a number of scouse jokes running for a while

kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kayan web said...
This comment has been removed by the author.